Saturday, April 17, 2010

Honesty...

This week, I've been pleasantly surprised with learning about honesty.
I asked my friend a simple question about whether she would be attending a function in the weekend, instead of answering she changed the subject.
I found out through Facebook funnily enough that she did indeed go, a simple yes would have been sufficient to answer my question but, because she didn't answer I found myself wondering why she avoided it and didn't tell me.

Then today my friend and I had plans and when I text her to ask what she was doing she said she was having a hot chocolate, I knew she was with another friend of hers but when she was offered the chance to tell me the truth, she didn't. She said it wasn't like she was lying to me but I think that selectively telling someone part of an answer is still as bad as a lie and definitely hurts the same.

I don't lie to my friends, if they ask me something I always try to be as straight up as I can so when they don't respect me enough to give me the same courtesy it does hurt.
Whether its a big lie, a 'small' white lie, or just avoiding the question, honesty always prevents a situation from escalating and is always the better choice.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you when you said that only telling half of an answer is still considered a lie.
    And I think its awesome how you always try to tell the truth no matter what because a lot of people dont tell the truth anymore.

    -Kara

    ReplyDelete